Australian Partner Visas – Know Some Important Tips Before Applying

Posted by :


Australian Partner Visas – Know Some Important Tips Before Applying

Suppose you are the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen residing in Australia. In that case, an Australian partner visa will allow you to travel to the country and live with your partner or spouse. The Australian Department of Home Affairs offers several partner visas, both onshore and offshore, each with different eligibility criteria. So, you must be careful of these things before you apply. This blog discusses some essential tips regarding your Australian partner visa application.

Partner Visa

Latest News: New PR Pathway For TSS (Short Term Stream) and Temporary Work Visa Holders

Important Tips for Lodging Successful Australian Partner Visa

Each year, the Department of Home Affairs rejects a number of partner visa applications because of various reasons, including not providing sufficient relationship documents, failing to pass character tests, and providing false information in the interview. Your visa will also face rejection if you do not provide accurate information about your dependent children. Going through the following tips will undoubtedly help you make a successful application.

Choose the Right Partner Visa Category

Choosing the right category is the first thing to do. We had already mentioned that the Immigration Department offers several partner visas, and the eligibility requirements are different. So, before applying, it is vital to be aware of all these types.

Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300

If you are engaged to an Australian PR or citizen or an eligible New Zealand citizen and want to marry your partner, the Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300 is the right choice. This visa will allow you to stay in Australia for 9 months, during which you have to get married to your partner.

Offshore Visas

There are two offshore visas offered by the Department of Home Affairs, including Partner Visa Subclass 309 and permanent Partner Visa 100.
The 309 Visa is a temporary visa, which you can apply for to stay in Australia for a maximum of 2 years. During those 2 years, you can prepare your application for the next stage, 100 Subclass Visa.

As the name suggests, you have to be outside Australia while applying for the 309 Visa. You can only enter after the Department of Home Affairs grants you the visa.

Onshore Visas

Similar to the offshore visas, there are two onshore partner visas – Partner Visa Subclass 820 and Partner Visa Subclass 801.

With Visa 820, you can live with your partner in Australia for around 2 years and prepare your 801 Visa application.

The only difference from offshore visas is that you have to be physically present in Australia during visa application and visa decisions while applying for onshore visas.

Also Read: What Happens With Your Partner Visa If Your Relationship Breaks Down?

Prepare Your Application and Documentation Accordingly

In addition to common documents like identity papers, health and character documents, and dependent applicant documents, providing essential relationship documents is one of the main criteria for an Australian partner visa.

The Prospective Marriage Visa is largely different from the onshore and offshore partner visas. While it is for someone who will marry their partner in Australia, the other two types are for those who are already married. So, relationship documents will automatically be different.

Relationship documents for your Prospective Marriage Visa will include:

  • Statutory declarations provided by two witnesses,
  • A written statement from you mentioning essential details about your relationship like how and when you first met, how the relationship developed, etc
  • Proof that you know each other and will marry within the visa validity period

On the other hand, the related documents for an onshore or offshore partner visa include:

  • Documents describing the genuineness of your relationship
  • Details about your relationship
  • Joint financial documents
  • Commitment documents
  • Joint household documents
  • Documents related to social matters

You can add your dependent children or stepchildren to your application in all the cases.

Fulfill All the Eligibility Criteria

Without satisfying the specific partner visa criteria, you will not be able to make a successful application.

For an Australian partner visa, your partner must be your sponsor. At the time of your application, both you and your sponsor must be over 18. The sponsorship should be for at least 2 years.

If you are currently in Australia and want to apply for a partner visa, go for the 820 Subclass Visa. This visa is your first step toward your permanent stay with your spouse.

The 820 Visa gives you 2 years to stay in Australia, and you have to start your 801 Visa application during that period. So, while applying, always make sure that your current visa is valid.

Criteria are similar to those of offshore visas. You have to be outside Australia at the time of visa application and visa grant.

When you decide to apply for the 300, you have to:

  • Be at least 18 years old,
  • Apply for the visa offshore and stay outside Australia when the visa decision is made,
  • Satisfy the health, relationship, character, and other criteria,
  • Sponsored by your prospective spouse,
  • Repay your outstanding debts to the Government of Australia, if applicable.

Your sponsor should also meet several essential criteria. For example, they must be your finance and not have any visa right now.

You Might Like: Learn How To Carry Out Your Stay With Prospective Marriage Visa 300

Make Your Relationship Known to Your Family and Friends

We have already mentioned that you need to provide statutory declarations by witnesses who have known you and your spouse or partner for years.

If you fail to provide letters of support from family members or friends, you will find it challenging to prove that your relationship is continuing and genuine. You can also provide other relevant documents like photos of you and your partner at cultural and social events or outings.

Maintain Regular Contact with Your Partner

Suppose you have been in a long-distance relationship. In that case, it will be essential to keep in regular touch with your partner or spouse. Not only that, but you must also maintain relevant records of that communication.

These records will verify your relationship duration and give the case officer a clear idea of your degree of commitment and the nature of your relationship.

If you maintain regular contact with your loved one and provide crucial evidence behind that, you will only increase the chances of your application success.

Keep Records

Once you submit your second stage visa application and the Department of Home Affairs starts processing it, remember to keep authentic records of your relationship.

It is recommended because the Department may ask you for further details related to the continuity of your relationship. Keep all the photos of you and your partner at family gatherings and social outings saved on your device to support your claims.

Our Latest Blog: What Should International Students Know before Returning to Australia in 2022?

Get Professional Guidance from a Registered Migration Agent

When it comes to an Australian visa application, experts always recommend hiring a registered migration agent in Perth. The Australian migration agents and lawyers are registered with the MARA (Migration Agents Registration Authority) and are highly experienced. They have handled a number of similar cases and thus can provide you with the most valuable suggestions on how to make a smooth yet successful application.

ISA Migrations is a top-rated migration firm that provides visa services worldwide. It is home to some of the best migration professionals known for offering the most accurate services to their clients. So, if you want to hire the most experienced immigration agent Perth, you can send ISA Migrations an email, and they will take care of the rest.

Tags: immigration to Australia ,migration agent Perth ,partner visa 100 ,partner visa Australia ,partner visa subclass 300 ,partner visa subclass 309 ,partner visa subclass 801 ,partner visa subclass 820
Inquire Now
Amit Taya (Perth) : +61 426 488 909 Harmandeep (Adelaide) : +61 8 8120 4199