Partner Visa Australia: All You Need To Know
A Partner Visa Australia allows you to visit and stay with your partner/spouse/fiancee in Australia. You must be in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
The application process for an Australian partner visa is lengthy and time-consuming. To apply for a spouse visa, you must gather proof of all necessary documents and satisfy specific eligibility requirements.
What is the Subclass 820 Partner Visa?
Your partner can visit Australia with you until their 801 visa application is approved or withdrawn with the help of this short-term partner visa 820. They can live, work, and study in Australia with this visa. An individual who is a citizen or permanent resident of Australia must sponsor this.
You must fulfil several requirements to be eligible for the 820 Partner Visa, including being in a committed and substantial relationship with your partner, fulfilling specific character and health requirements, and presenting proof of your claims. You can add dependent children (under eighteen) to this application.
Latest Post: How Can You Immigrate to Australia Permanently?
Partner Visa Processing Time
Partner visa processing time varies according to the subclass and individual circumstances. However, the Subclass 820 Temporary Partner Visa Processing Time is as follows:
- Three months for 25% of applications
- Six months for 50% of applications
- 16 months for 75% of applicants
- 34 months for 90% of applications
The de facto spouse or partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia, or qualifying citizen of New Zealand may reside in Australia temporarily with this visa. The initial step toward obtaining a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) is to receive this visa.
Factors Influencing the Partner Visa Australia Processing Time
Applications are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and due to unique conditions such as the following, actual processing times may differ.
- Whether your application is comprehensive and contains all required supporting documentation
- How soon do you respond when someone seeks extra information
- How long will it take to finish the necessary scrutiny of the evidence that has been submitted?
- How long it takes for further data to be received from outside sources, especially when it comes to national security, character, and health criteria
- How many spots are available for permanent migration visa applicants?
- The period needed to apply for citizenship, attend a citizenship ceremony, and obtain a citizenship certificate.
Recent Post: Australia Tourist Visa Processing Time Demystified
Partner Visa Australia Requirements
You must first meet the partner visa requirements for Australia for the visa grant before submitting your subclass 820/801 application. These prerequisites are enumerated below.
- You must be eighteen (married individuals may be exempt from this requirement).
- You must be married to an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or qualified New Zealand citizen or be in a de facto relationship with one of these people.
- The sponsor needs to be at least eighteen years old (however, married individuals may be exempt).
- Your Australian partner must sponsor you (note: under some conditions, an individual can’t be a sponsor). Your partner’s parent or legal guardian must nominate you if they are under 18.
- Per the partner visa sponsor requirements, your sponsor must meet “character” criteria. They must provide the necessary police clearances to prove it.
- You must either complete extra requirements or possess a substantive visa that does not include a bridging visa.
- You have to fit the requirements for character and health.
Partner Visa Cost 2023
You must submit the Partner visa fees to complete the visa application. The partner visa cost is as follows:
- For Principal applicant: 8,085.00 AUD
This sum pays for the 820 temporary visas as well as the 810 permanent visas.
- Over-18 secondary applicant: AUD 4,045.00
- AUD 2,025.00 for a secondary applicant under the age of 18.
- Other costs
The costs of completing the additional criteria, such as the police and health checks, will also be incurred.
Recent news: Broadening Pathways to PR for Temporary Skilled Sponsored Workers
Partner Visa Australia Checklist 2023
You must attach a scanned copy of all the required documents in the partner visa Australia checklist to lodge a visa application for a hassle-free process. The list is here:
- Form 80, the Applicant’s Character Assessment (also for accompanying dependent children 16 years of age and up)
- Two or more Statutory Declarations from outside parties attesting to your partnership (Form 888)
- Biodata page of passport (for the applicant and dependent accompanying you in application)
- Passport-size photo of you and the dependents (in your application)
- Birth certificate of you and your dependent
- Further proof of identity (if applicable), like:
- Family book
- Documents released by the court
- Evidence of a name change (if applicable) such as:
- Deed polling
- Statutory Declaration
- Marriage license
- Certificate of Divorce (if applicable)
- Death certificates for widows or widowers (if applicable)
- Military discharge records (if required)
- Proof of shared accommodation like joint lease agreement, mortgage documents, utility bills on joint names, etc.
- Joint financial commitments evidence such as joint bank accounts, credit/debit cards, insurance, rental payments, loan agreements, etc.
Supplementary Records for Dependent Child
- Documentation proving parental responsibility that allows minors under the age of eighteen to immigrate to Australia
- Child adoption documents
- Ensure your child can be included in your application if they are older than 18 years old! Some regulations apply.
- Form 80 for dependant children who are at least sixteen years old.
- Clearance from the Australian Federal Police for dependant children who are 16 years of age or older
- Offshore Police Clearances for 16-year-old and older dependant children
Blog Post: How To Write An Invitation Letter for Tourist Visa Australia
Sponsors Individual Records
- Page of the passport biodata
- Two passport photos and a full certificate of birth
- Evidence of service during the preceding two years
- Proof that the sponsor is a qualified New Zealand citizen, an Australian citizen, or a permanent resident
- Clearance from the Australian Federal Police
- Police clearances obtained offshore (if relevant)
Character and Health certificates
- Clearances from the Australian Federal Police (where appropriate)
- Police Clearances Offshore
- Visa health care
How to Apply for Partner Visa 820?
- Ensure you are qualified to apply first. Does Australia sponsor a resident or citizen, and is the bond sincere and long-lasting?
- Assemble all necessary documentation. This could take a while, and if you don’t give the right information, you might not get approved or get rejected.
- Apply via your ImmiAccount online:
- After logging in, choose “new application” and “family.”
- Choose “Stage 1 Partner or Prospective Marriage Visa”.
- Finalize the application, providing up to 100 papers in total.
- Pay the applicable visa fee(s).
- Record the TRN (transaction reference number) and apply. Give the sponsor the TRN; they must apply for the sponsorship. They will have to enter their ID and TRN, log into ImmiAccount, and log out.
- Await the result. Your ImmiAccount allows you to monitor the progress of your application.
Blog Post: 189 Visa Processing Time: Your Quick Guide
You and your partner have decided to live together because you believe you are destined to be together. The anxiety and uncertainty of obtaining your partner’s Australian visa may eclipse the joy of moving to a new nation. With our experience, you may be confident that you meet all the parameters needed to get the desired result.
You can apply for Australian subclass 820 and 801 visas with the assistance of a migration agent. It’s crucial to provide the immigration authorities with all relevant documentation that can help them decide. They can assist you with the application if you need clarification and ensure it is comprehensive, finished, and presented in the best possible way.