Student Visa Subclass 500 – Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by :


Student Visa Subclass 500 – Frequently Asked Questions

The Australian Student Visa Subclass 500 is exclusively designed for international students looking to study full-time at an Australian educational institute. With a student visa 500, you can stay for a maximum of 5 years in Australia. The rest of this blog deals with the questions frequently asked by applicants.

Latest News: International Travel Resumes From Next Month – PM Scott Morrison has Announced

Common FAQs-

Top immigration experts and education consultants often face these questions regarding the Visa Subclass 500. Go through the explanations to understand what needs to be done to apply for the visa.

Q1. How to grow my career with the Student Visa Subclass 500?

Almost every subject is taught at the different Australian institutes, and thus you will have plenty of options to choose from. However, it is essential to do enough research and make sure the course you are enrolling in is registered and approved for international students.

  • Different courses available for overseas students include Trades, Science, Nursing, Engineering, IT, Management, Tourism and Hospitality, Education, Agriculture, Social Sciences, Arts, etc.
  • 8 Australian universities frequently rank in the list of the world’s top 100 universities, attributed to their world-class academic infrastructure, interactive and open-minded teaching faculty, and exciting campus life.

Q2. What eligibility criteria do I have to fulfil?

For a successful application, you should first see if you meet the Student Visa 500 eligibility criteria, which are as follows.

  • Your age should be at least 6 years.
  • Suppose you enrol in a full-time study course registered on the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students). In that case, you must obtain a CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment) and provide it at the time of application.
  • You must have the required English language skills.
  • As an international applicant, you should have the Overseas Student Health Cover from the day you arrive in Australia.
  • For applicants under 18, you should have adequate welfare arrangements.
  • You should have sufficient financial strength to cover all the costs during your stay.
  • You should fulfil the necessary health and character requirements.

Q3. What documents are required for the Visa Subclass 500?

To complete your application, you will have to upload documents according to the Visa Subclass 500 document checklist.

  • Confirmation of Enrolment
  • A valid passport
  • GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) statement
  • Employment and academic documents
  • English language proficiency skills
  • Financial proof
  • Health insurance policy details
  • Passport-size photographs
  • Statement of purpose
  • Parental consent for applicants under 18

You Might Like: Australian Student Visa 500 – A Checklist of Required Documents

Q4. What is the ‘Document Checklist Tool’?

This tool can be found on the official website of the Department of Home Affairs. Going through this tool will give you an idea of what documents you will need to complete your application.

To get an accurate checklist, you have to enter the name of your education provider and the country of residence. If the education provider is not decided yet, you can choose ‘My provider is not listed.’ The Department updates this tool twice a year, on 31 March and on 30 September.

Q5. How can I work with the Student Visa Australia?

One of the significant benefits of the Australian Student Visa is that you can work with this visa after your course starts. Know about your Student Visa 500 working rights before making the application.

  • You are eligible to start working after your course begins.
  • You can work for up to 20 hours a week and unlimited hours during a semester break.
  • No hour limit is there if you are doing a PhD or a Master’s degree by research.
  • Once your course ends, you can work for unlimited hours.

Q6. If my visa needs to be extended, what do I do?

Currently, there is no Student Visa 500 extension. However, if your course has been extended, or you cannot return home after finishing your studies, you can go for two options. You can either apply for this visa again or make a visitor visa application.

But it will depend on your situation. A student visa will be necessary if you have the plan to continue with your studies. A visitor visa will be beneficial if you have suspended your studies and wish to return home whenever possible.

Also Read This: Australian Student Visa Extension – Frequently Asked Questions

Q7. How much funds should I have?

To obtain your visa, you must prove that you have the financial capacity to cover various costs like living costs, travel expenses, tuition fees, and return airfare. The Visa 500 application cost is currently AUD 630. For the primary applicant, the annual expense in Australia is AUD 20000.

Q8. In how much time Subclass 500 gets processed?

The Visa 500 processing time varies according to the sector. For the higher education sector, 75% of applications get processed in 29 days, while 90% take about 42 days. On the other hand, in the vocational education and training sector, the processing times for 75% and 90% of applications are 43 days and 77 days, respectively.

Q9. Is there any age criteria?

For the Subclass 500 Visa, your age must be at least 6 years.

You Might Like: 7 Challenges That International Students To Face In Australia

Q10. Who can be included in my Visa 500 application?

You may include your immediate family members in your 500 Visa application. These members may consist of your de facto partner or spouse and your partner’s dependent or step-child.

Q11. What tests are needed for the Student Visa 500?

The answer to this question is directly linked to the Student Visa 500 English language requirements. As proof of English language proficiency, you have to provide scores of any English language test like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, or Cambridge Advanced.
However, whether you will need to sit in such a test will be determined by your home country or country of passport. If you’re from or have studied for 5 years in an English-speaking country, you will not need to provide this document.

Also Read: How English Proficiency Plays a Crucial Role To Get Student Visa Subclass 500? 

Q12. What is the GTE requirement?

The GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) statement formally confirms that you are entering Australia only for study and not for any other purpose. In addition, you should also mention the reasons behind not taking a similar course in your home country.

You Might Like: Genuine Temporary Entrant Visa Applications Requirements: Guide And Tips For Students

Q13. What documents belong to the Student Visa extension category?

Your Student Visa 500 document checklist will look like this:

  • Copy of your birth certificate
  • Copy of passport pages that have an Australian immigration stamp
  • National ID card
  • CV
  • CoE
  • Marriage certificate, if applicable
  • Parental consent for applicants under 18
  • Policy number of OSHC
  • A personal statement citing reasons behind your study extension, situations in the home country and Australia, etc

Q14. What is the process for applying for a Student Visa 500?

The application procedure for this visa involves these steps.

  • You can make the application offshore or onshore. Whatever you choose, you should give yourself at least 6 months before the course starts.
  • Gather your documents according to the checklist.
  • Apply for the visa online.
  • Respond to the queries by the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Wait for the visa decision.

Also Read: Avoid The Rejection Reasons For Your Student Visa 500 To Get It Very Sleekly 

Q15. How can a registered migration agent help me to get the Student Visa Subclass 500?

From helping understand the immigration rules to complete the applications for their clients, a registered migration agent Adelaide can help in many ways.

For course-related information, you may consult a reputed education consultant. If you cannot locate a top-rated immigration agent Adelaide, you can get in touch with officials of ISA Migrations anytime.

Tags: 500 visa ,immigration agent adelaide ,Immigration Consultant Adelaide ,Migration agent Adelaide ,Student Subclass 500 ,Student Visa 500 ,student visa subclass 500 ,Subclass 500 ,Visa Agent Adelaide ,Visa Subclass 500
Inquire Now
Amit Taya (Perth) : +61 426 488 909 Harmandeep (Adelaide) : +61 8 8120 4199